In 1920 the governor of Ludza district, Jezups Soikans has found the Historical Artifact Museum and came up with an idea of founding the Ethnography and History Museum. He began to actively gather archaeological findings and old printed material in Latgalian language. Ethnography and History Museum in Ludza existed until the World War II. During the war the Museum’s building was demolished and all the artifacts destroyed. Immediately after the war people actively started the Museum’s renovation. In 1956 the Museum has received the building where it is located today – sometime in the past it was the place when Kulnev family’s house was built.
The territory that is covered by the Museum’s collection includes Ludza’s district, old Ludza’s district’s civil parishes, and other Latgalian provinces. Overall, the Museum owns 35 575 items (in 31.12.2007). Chronologically, the collection spans a time period from the most ancient times to nowadays. There is an archaeological and numismatic exhibition that offers information on the Prehistoric era and the Medieval Livonia period. There are also the 17-18 centuries weaponry, numismatic and written documents collections, as well as exhibits of the 19-20 centuries – ethnographic and everyday life items, ceramics, weaponry, sacral objects, crafts and art, photography, numismatic collection, and also printed materials. The Museum’s Open-air Ethnographic exhibition demonstrates the rural building traditions of the 19th and the beginning of 20th century. The objects that the exhibition presents can introduce visitors to farmers’ everyday life, daily activities, and also Latgalian farmers’ traditions.
The Museum, as much as it can, educates the local community and tourists, and provides information about Ludza’s historical and cultural aspects, nature and ethnography. It helps to preserve and spread the national culture; teaches about careful treatment of cultural heritage; encourages children creativity, and offers and atmosphere for spiritual growth.
Home page: www.ludzasmuzejs.lv